How to Get Rid of Dead Mouse Smell

We have had mice & husband put oput mouse poison. It did the trick, but the mouse must have died in the wall. Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the smell?
It is in a spare room, so at least it is not in a main area.
Thanks for your help!

Since the room that stinks is a spare room, we deciced to put in a Vanilla Glade Plug-In, & close the room (Opening the window daily the first few days as well). It has been about 2 weeks, & all we smwell is Vanilla. yea! Thanks for your help!!!

I've never had the smell last for more than a week to 10 days. I'd just ignore it, and it will go away.

Unfortunately you have to get rid of the mice and there could be quite a few. After that I woule scrub under each mouse you get with bleach.

You have to get rid of the dead mouse to get rid of the smell of it decomposing.

I have made my husband promise to stop using poison for this very reason! He cut a hole in the wall with a dry wall saw (it's a small hand held saw, a little bigger than a steak knife). He was then able to remove the mouse and spray it with Fabreze. We let the wall open for a few days, then used dry wall tape to reattach the piece of drywall he cut out, spackled the edges and repainted.

The smell lasts about six weeks. The only way to get rid of the smell is to get rid of the mice by cutting the wall, getting rid of the rotting mouse, and bleaching the area. A few plug-in air fresheners help mitigate the smell if you do not want to do this.

If you have children or pets you really should not use poison as they can eat it and be poisoned too.

I never use poison (I have three cats) but there was a mouse trapped in my wall when my house was built and it took six weeks for the smell to go away. You just have to wait for the natural processes to work and then of course you will have a petrified mouse in your wall until it rots to just bones.

Im so sorry. We had the same problem i while back, but it was in our bathroom floor. never had any idea something so small would smell so bad. I know you dont want to here this but it was in there for a week and i made my husbend rip the floor up and get rid of it. that is the only way the smell will go away.

hey if u actaully find a way PLEASE let me know! the smell can last a week! i found the only way is to set "snap" traps and just throw em out.. but when they eat the poison and die in walls be prepared for the worst smell of u'r life!

Unfortunately, short of tearing the walls apart, you have to grin and bear it. Open the window and hope for the best. Another suggestion get a ferret! We had a mouse problem until we got ferrets and then no more mouse problem. Natural enemy and even if the ferret is caged the scent still keeps the mice away.

1 / 3