Double Stroller Help

I am looking for a good double stroller to fit my two year old and one month old. I have been looking at the Contours Options Tandem by Kolcraft, Graco DuoGlider, and a sit and stand with the extra seat. The Countours and DuoGlider get very good reviews from parents at Babies-R-Us. I just can't deceide which one to purchase. What are your thoughts?

Thank you all for your responses. There were so many factors that I hadn't thought about, which changed my inital choice. I really liked the Phil and Ted, but it was just not economical for my family. We decided to go with the Baby Trend Sit and Stand LX. Thanks again!

I have a 22-month-old and a 7-month old. I have a DuoGlider, which I really like using for babies their age. I looked into a sit and stand but my elder child did not meet the minimum suggested weight to use it when we needed to buy the stroller 7 months ago.

L. E

Combi side by side. I like side by side better because my kids love sitting together and I don't need to rotate them (they would both love to sit in the front.). I got the delux version because it has snack trays. Get it online -- it is a lot cheaper than going to, say, the Right Start.

Hi Sara-
I also have two children and have tried every double stroller under the sun, including the DualGlider and Sit and Stand. Both of which, are very bulky and hard to maneuver especially at the mall. The best double stroller I found was the Phil & Teds in-line strollers with the doubles kit. They are pricy but worth the money because they are light, easy to steer, and fold up small enough to fit in the trunk of smaller car. The detachable doubles kit also gives the option of a single or double stroller every time you use it. I have had my stroller for a little over a year and I still love it. It has grown with us from holding a toddler and a car seat to two toddlers now.

The DuoGlider has worked well for my family. When I was looking, it was one of the easiest to fold and push, but I didn't check out the real expensive brands. Good luck!

Hey S.!
I just had to make a similar choice not too long ago! My daughter is 26 months and my son is 5 months. I did not get a sit and stand because what I began to notice is that my daughter became slightly jealous about me pushing the baby around while she walked. She went from a proud walker to a limp noodle. Also, I wanted a double stroller because my daughter will still sometimes fall asleep in it. So my choice was between the Graco and the Contours. Both will work but I chose the Contours and I am so happy that I did! Let me just say up front that I LOVE the colors and the look of it. However, beyond that, here are some other things that I LOVE about it:
*It looked easier to use with a car seat that was not made by the same company and, as it turns out, it works beautifully with my chicco car seat
*It steers easily (you can even use one hand in a pinch)
*I am always using the cup holders
*The extra large compartment beneath is wonderful (I used to hang my large diaper bag over the handles of other strollers because when the stroller was set up, I couldn't squeeze the bag out of such a tiny opening...the Options has plenty of space!)
*It has toddler hand-holds on either side that my daughter likes and have been very useful on several occasions
*It folds and opens easily
*The seats are qutie comfortable and my 5 month old does great in them too. As a bonus, I placed him in a seat, put it on full recline and hung a toy from the lap bar and it was almost like a mini crib!
*The seats can face many different ways! This is great for life in general. It provides "options". My daughter sits up front, facing front, and she loves it. I thought that it was just farmiliar, like the way she would sit in her old stroller, but another mom mentioned to me that it might also help her cope with the second child...she doesn't have to look at him if she doesn't want to:) The other mom has a side-by-side and just recently, her daughter started hitting her baby. She was a little jealous and having a difficult time adjusting to sharing. The other mom liked the idea of seats that could face away from eachother because she could isolate the kids if they were fighting or have them facing one another to engage eachother. Yeah, look what we have to look forward to!

I have read some negative reviews about the Contours. I would like to respond to some of them:
*Some people think that it is too heavy. I would say that it is no heavier than other comprable strollers and it is certainly less weight than carrying around two babies :).
*Some people have said that it does not fold up as compactly as promised. This is true if you leave the seats on. I always take the seats off to put the stroller in the car. It takes a few more minutes but it is worth it! I would rather spend a few minutes by my car putting things together and have a smoother time out and about than saving 2 minutes but having a less helpful stroller.
*Some people have said that it is just too big. Of course it is big! You are carrying two children in it! Anything that accomidates two is going to be large. But, even so, the Contours does as well as any stroller in tight spaces...maybe even better.
So, there you have it. To me, the Contours, hands down. But, it really depends on what you need it for and how you roll. This is the only stroller that I use. Parks, malls, wherever. So, please forgive the long response but I firmly believe that the right stroller will change your life. The Contours totally changed mine. It dialed my stress level right down and I enjoy being out so much more. Good luck with your choice and enjoy your babies! Congrats on your new addition!

I am in your same boat. I have a 26 mo old and 2 month old. I was given a graco duoglider stroller as a gift before my son was born and it is not that easy to maneuver. Because it is longer than a single stroller it is hard to steer and I am constantly bumping into things. Going down an aisle is really difficult and getting through doorways (especially at the mall is a nightmare). Instead I am thinking about buying the tandem stroller since my daughter really likes to walk now but still can't walk long distances. The tandem stroller is about the same size as a single stroller but has the feature to carry a bigger kid as well.

I bought the sitnstandLX a year or so ago, and will tell you that it gets the job done, but if you are looking for ease of steering with good handling along curbs and slopes, don't buy that one.We don't have a lot of sidewalks where I live, but even driveway lips are a struggle with both kids in the stroller>>>>Hope this helps narrow it down.....

so much advice already, but I had 3 kids in 2 1/2 years, and have personally purchased 6 strollers (they are all in my garage if your interested...)The combi is nice, but its not easy to steer when there is more weight in it. The wheels are pretty small. Its like pushing an umbrella stroller. The graco duo glider is great for snapping in a carseat and plopping another child in as well. It holds and older child and carseat really well, fairly easy to push (I say fairly, because its the easiert of the "cheaper" strollers.) I have the Jeep twin umbrella and I wouldn't give it away...worst investment ever. Hard to push, doesn't fit thru door ways etc. I had the Peg prego one, but took it back within a month. I just really didn't like it, same kind of feel as the combi. I really like the Valco Trailmode runabout. Pricy for sure about $650 with out the carseat attachment, but totally worth it in the long run. Its so easy to push, and folds up nice too. Plus it fits it the back of my sequoia (which doesn't seems like it would be hard, but I have had troubles with some before) plus it has an option for a 3rd seat (where the Phil and Teds doesn't) just In case you have another child...I know we didn't plan them close either! I would check it out forsure. I would make the big investment now, and save your money in the long run with not having to purchase other strollers! You can check the Valco out on www.valcobaby.com.

Hi Sara-

My kids are 20 months apart, my first double stroller was the duo-glider, and I found it really hard to steer with my older child in the front. Same thing now with the sit and stand since my second child is now 2. If there is any signigicant weight in the front it's very hard to steer. Also, once the kids are older and out of the infant carrier, the one in the back always ended up kicking the one in front. I finally ended up with the combi side by side, and it works great. Steers really well, fair amount of storage underneath, good canopy cover. And somehow, the don't bother each other side by side! It is a little wide for doorways, sometimes is difficult there, but I use it mostly for outdoor activities. Good luck!

i would recommend going to a store that has a large selection and try them all. bring your kids and your largest diaper bag and see if everything fits. try opening and closing them all. will they fit in your vehicle? i have a graco duoglider that i love for travel...the carseat clicks in easily and it has a HUGE basket underneath for storage. but it's also very heavy and cumbersome...not so great for running errands. i have a side-by-side jogging stroller that is really light and maneuverable, but you can't attach a carseart and it's too wide to push around most stores. the sit and stand may be your best bet for everyday use but you really need to test them all before you know for sure.
congrats on the new baby!

1 / 3